Warehouse No. 4
"The world is either a better place or a worse place because you are in it; no one has a neutral influence." -RDW
Sunday, April 24, 2005
Silversands Church

Future home of Silversands Church (SBC).

Starting the church plant was difficult (like the time I took a job washing dishes). It really hurt my pride. I mean, come on, I have master's degree (prideful, huh?). Anyways, the price of land is outrageous. Nevertheless, after 5 or was it 10 years of meeting in homes and renting gym space from the school district our building is complete. We still have a long ways to go, but future generations will benefit from our sacrifices. People thought I was insane for wanting to start a church in a community like Silversands (they are snobby, rude, self centered I was told). Besides we are only suppose to carry the gospel into places like the ghetto and the trailer parks of the south, right? The average salary is 150,000, the people are well educated and will not settle for off the cuff religious cliches and bumper sticker theology (keeps me studying). In this community a Chrisitan has to be willing to reason with them (think Paul in the market place and on Mars Hill). Eventually, we will house a first rate library and center for Christian studies (Apologetics, Christian History, Missions, etc). It will be open to the community. One of the church's purposes will be to train Christians to be thinkers, so they can engage the culture both in the market place (e.g., at work) and in the political arena (e.g., at School board meetings, etc). Evangelize the middle and you will eventually capture the top and reach the bottom as well . I call it trickle down evangelism.

We want all kinds Head, Heart and Hand people. Head people are the intellectually geared. Heart people are your artistically ept. Hands are doers (e.g., wood workers, craftsmen). It is a holistic approach to congregational ministry and outreach. Dr. Reynolds of Biola University, eluded this summer, and I was in total agreement, that to often we are lacking in the types of people we reach out to (e.g., we reach only to the jocks). Most family life centers are little more than gymnasiums. Why not build a family life center that has an Arts Center, Computer Lab, Library and a weight room. Maybe, one Sunday the message can be in the form of a play, musical, or some other form of artistic expression that "church folk" are unfamiliar with. The church should be our cultural hub not our Sunday stepchild. We are going to reach them all (Our heriatage is not one of Southern Gospel music only. At one time Christianity dominated the intelligentsia and Arts). Look at the Sistine Chapel, listen to Bach, or read a Classic Christian author and you will see what I mean.

Okay, it is all a vision, but what if? What if I had the courage to step out in faith and obediently follow where I believe God is leading. What if I would swallow my pride and wash dishes...what if I would make tents while planting a church? What if? Posted by Hello
posted by Rickie @ 10:38 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Christie said…

    Reality has to begin somewhere. A vision is a great place to start. I've been amazed as I've studied Mars Hill Church in Seattle - where they began, and where they are now. God has done some amazing stuff right in the middle of that liberal cesspool.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Rickie said…

    I agree Chrisitie. I have just started reading Radical Reformission.

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Freezer said…

    you might find this interesting. the church i've been going to in gainesville is creekside community church. (it's an evangelical free church. i'd never heard of them til i started going there, but it's swindoll's denomination) they are involved in a place called the christian study center. it's a building just a block or two off of campus that encourages christian intellectual thought. they have classes, reading groups, art displays and other things. here's the web-site where you can find out more about it. http://www.christianstudycenter.org/index.php

    -jared fries

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Micah Fries said…

    Rickie- the vision is right on. I wish there were more people who would do that. I don't think, by the way, that it's a matter of "having enough guts" but rather simply trusting God. Do we really trust Him to provide or not? Tough question isn't it?

    By the way: Radical Reformission is on my Top 10 list of good books!

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo! And from the lips/fingers of a Southern Baptist...who would've believed it possible? I applaud your vision of holistic ministry and pray that God would indeed realize it through you. The church is in desperate need of that type of leadership.

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Rickie said…

    ^Thanks. Many of the ideas had been in my mind, but its was Dr. Reynolds who put it into words for me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Rickie
Home: United States
About Me: I am currently working on a Master of Arts in Apologetics. This site is intended to stimulate discussion, as well as, inform. I welcome differing opinions, especially opposing views that engage me intellectually and challenge me to think in new ways. I may continue to disagree with you, but I welcome the dialogue. The beautiful woman in the picture with me is my wife. I personally think I married one of the most giving and beautiful women in all the world, an opinion that is not open for debate.
See my complete profile
Manuals
Receiving
Inventory
Shoutbox

Jesus wants a child's heart and a grown-up's head. ~C.S. Lewis

Warehouses
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER