Warehouse No. 4
"The world is either a better place or a worse place because you are in it; no one has a neutral influence." -RDW
Wednesday, March 02, 2005
ABC's Wife Swap Shows Why Christians Need To Be Ready To Give A Defense Of Why They Believe
Tonight I found myself tuned into ABC's Wife Swap. For those who are unfamiliar with the program, the premise of the show is that two households swap wives/mothers for two weeks (I think, maybe one week). Anyhow, tonight's episode featured a liberal family (probably not the best example of one) and a conservative family. Within the liberal family, Dan, the adoptive son, attacks Sherry's belief system. Dan finds Sherry easy prey. Unfortunately, we see yet another case of a Christian unable to defend their faith. Dan attacks the Bible as a book written 100 years after Jesus' crucifixion. Tish, tish Danny Boy! Sherry may not have been able to defend her faith but Dan managed to demonstrate on national television that he has opinions based on ignorance or stupidity (there is a difference).

I am sure when Dan said that the Bible was written 100 years after Jesus died, what he really meant was that the New Testament was written 100 years after the fact. Still, such a comment is inaccurate. The New Testament consists of 27 individual documents written, according to liberal estimations, over a period of 80 years (30-110 AD). Even this liberal estimation is amazing considering the latness of any comparative ancient counterpart (e.g., the Gallic Wars or Homer's lliad). Conservatively, the New Testaments compilation could be as little as a period of 60 years (30-90 AD). Possibly even a 50 year period. So what this means is that within a generation of the event (i.e., the crucifixion) the documents now adorning the canonized Bible had been penned. It would be a weaker argument at this point for a critic of these two estimates to ask why later books were excluded. Later documents would be at a higher risk for legendary development and theological embellishment. Thus, for them to assert that later documentation should be included contradicts their claim that the Bible, excuse me, the New Testament is unreliable due to a late compilation. Which is what I think Dan was trying to argue (albeit off the cuff).

Now Paul's letters are of the earliest documentation present within the canon. Some believe 1 Corinthian dates conservatively at C.E. 50-56. Within the document itself both conservative and liberal scholars date the creed in 1 Cor. 15 within 2-5 years after the crucifixion. This shows an early, very early, belief that Jesus rose from the dead. Dan and his counterparts are the ones who need to show evidence that Jesus didn't rise from the dead. Dan and others can choose to ignore what theologians and historians agree upon but to do so only leaves them in the defensive position. Even historians and theologians who do not believe that Jesus rose from the dead at least offer alternative theories to the resurrection (all of which fail to explain widely agreed upon facts about what took place after the crucifixion). Only the resurrection secures both explanatory power and scope. Both of which historians largley rely on and apply in the formation of a hypothesis. In turn, these two principles overwhelmingly affects a hypothesis accepted historicity (i.e., which hypotheses is thought to have most likley occurred).

Dan and others are willfully ignorant at best misinformed. Sherry, if you ever read this post, don't worry. A Christian has plenty of reason to believe in the resurrection and God for that matter. When are Christians going to get serious about defending the faith? A good resource for starters is RisenJesus . Mike Licona is an apologist who has studied under Dr. Habermas of Liberty University (author of Historical Jesus and numerous other works on the resurrection). As a side note, I was fortunate to study under Habermas this Summer at Biola University in CA and he was excellent and the knowledge he conveyed remains indispensable.

We should always be ready to give an account of why we believe. I think this is more important now than ever because we are living in an age of skeptical inquiry (e.g., scientific, historical, metaphysical). To ask "Why" is no longer reserved to the reclusive philosopher. In many ways this is a good development. Now the truth of Christianity can be demonstrated in all disciplnes. However, if the church (I am thinking mostly of laity) doesn't begin to defend the faith, I fear the church in America will go the way of its counterpart in England...i.e., minute to nonexistent.

Let us light the lamps and sit them up high for all the world to see.


Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was being provoked within him as he was observing the city full of idols. So he was reasoning in the synagogue with the Jews and the God fearing Gentiles, and in the marketplace everyday with those who happened to be present. -Acts 17: 16-17 NASB
posted by Rickie @ 11:26 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Christie said…

    I will continue to study so when I go on Wife Swap next month I won't run into the same dilemma! Deal?

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Rickie said…

    Good deal. I get so disappointed when I watch these reality shows and the Christian never has an answer for the critic. What makes it worse is the critic doesn't usually know what he/she is talking about either, yet the Christian is so ill informed that he or she can't call the bluff.
    I am sure you and Rick would give them a run for thier money. Hey maybe you guys could do the amazing race!

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Rickie said…

    Christie, to get at your question the other day (i.e., what am I doing now?) well as you can tell from my bio, I am married. My wife’s name is Christiana. Yes! Someone actually said yes! I don't think you and Rick were still around when she came as a student to BCF. She is wonderful. She teaches 3rd grade at Graceville Elementary. www.chipleybugle.com /localnewsfeb05/bcf-localschool
    She really loves what she does.

    Obviously, we still reside in Graceville. I have been working on my MA for a little over a year. I travel to CA in the summer for classes. Hopefully, I will get to fly out some during the Fall and Spring semesters (If we could we would move out there…loved it, absolutely loved it). Biola is on the cutting edge of ministry. They bring in many of the big guys to teach us, and their staff & faculty is simply amazing. I should be done in another 2 to 3 semesters. We are then planning to go to seminary (to work on an M. Div). I am also looking for viable PhD programs that I could go into right now (instead of getting an M Div first). The only one I like so far is at Baylor. I left Hospice a little over a year ago to pursue the Masters. I realized it was going to be a tough degree and I needed more time. I hated to leave my patients. I really learned a great deal from serving as a chaplain (esp. about visitation within hospitals and homes). Until just recently, I was serving a small church as youth pastor; however, over the past year I have realized that, though I love to speak to and work with youth, I am not a youth pastor...seems kind of weird (Instead, I’ll get them all riled up and then let the youth pastor handle them). Of course it might have been location. I did it all (no one even wanted to teach them in Sunday school). I am currently doing pulpit supply (hey you remember our preaching class with Dr. Windsor?) I am also looking for my first pastorate (with much prayer and caution). Anyhow I hope that provides a little insight. I see from Rick’s posts that he is pretty busy. Where are you two serving? Is he a youth pastor or pastor? What is up with you two? Oh yeah, I still pull in and park backwards to get attention…some things will never change.

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger Christie said…

    Still yourself I can tell! Glad to hear things are going well and that you finally convinced someone to marry you! Anyway, we have been in Hazlehurst, GA for almost 3 years (100 mi. east of Savannah). We have faced a lot of interesting things in our minstry here, but God has been so faithful and is now showing us some of the fruit of our labor. Although Rick is serving in youth/education position now - his heart is definitely moving toward the pastorate. We now have a wonderful pastor and in May our church is beginning a Saturday night service geared for 20-30 somethings. Rick hopes to get lots of practice on his preaching there. I finished school in December of 03 - BA in Religion from Brewton-Parker College. Strangely enough, I am working as a manager of a hotel for now? Just a means to an end until I can spend all my time writing about who knows what and probably producing some offspring.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Rickie said…

    That’s great. I am glad to hear that you all have experienced growth in many facets. So Rick is youth/education. That means double duty for him. I am sure he feels like his plate is full. I have prayed about two ministers of education positions that have come my way. I think if I don’t become a pastor right now, I would flourish in an associate/education position ( I have a desire to mentor under a pastor with experience). At my last church, I spent as much time preaching in place of the pastor as I did working with the youth. However, my drive to read and teach leads me to think that maybe an associate/education position would allow me to grow and develop some more before flying solo. I openly admit that moving into a full time pastor position is a little scary. It is a lot of responsibility…just in sermon preparation alone. When you add visitation and administration duties (and don’t forget you family) I can see how burnout can occur.

    You mentioned that your church is starting a Saturday evening service for 20 to 30 somethings. I think that is great, great, great. I would love to hear more about what you all do to reach them. How are you going to organize the service, etc?

    Ellis and I were talking the other day about whether you finished school. We remembered you saying something about finishing up online, but we couldn’t remember if you ever graduated…glad to hear that you did.

    This summer when Christina and I were in Cali, we had a chance to visit Saddleback. They had so many people attending service in the main venue. They actually have 3 separate services going on at the sometime (not in the same room). They all have the same message. It is played on a large screen in the other 2 venues. We went to the main service but Rick Warren was out of town. His brother-in-law preached.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Rickie
Home: United States
About Me: I am currently working on a Master of Arts in Apologetics. This site is intended to stimulate discussion, as well as, inform. I welcome differing opinions, especially opposing views that engage me intellectually and challenge me to think in new ways. I may continue to disagree with you, but I welcome the dialogue. The beautiful woman in the picture with me is my wife. I personally think I married one of the most giving and beautiful women in all the world, an opinion that is not open for debate.
See my complete profile
Manuals
Receiving
Inventory
Shoutbox

Jesus wants a child's heart and a grown-up's head. ~C.S. Lewis

Warehouses
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER